"Now I'm going to be an owl."
"hoo, hoo"
"Then I flap my wings and fly away!"
Olivia does a jig
The landscape is much more green now. Spring has been late in arriving, but the trees are finally leafing out and blossoming.
Here's how we spend our weekends around here:
Can you tell that our toes are the same color?
I've noticed that single parents tend to gripe about how their ex gets to be the "fun" parent while they are "responsible" one. I can surely relate to that feeling. But I've decided that I'm going to be both! I think it's possible to be fun and responsible. I'm not going to get bogged down thinking about what my ex is/is not doing. Instead I'm going to focus my energy on being present with my kids and enjoying them each day.
Translation: my house is frequently a mess and I don't care any more. So you are welcome to come by anytime friend, but please lower your expectations. My house is never "company ready" so don't judge me. I'd rather take my kids to the park than have a spotless home or mow the lawn or clean my van. It's not how I prefer to live, but it's the best I can do right now. At the end of my life I'm sure that I won't be thinking, "I wish I had spent more time cleaning my house." I simply refuse to miss out on a relationship with my kids.
Last week Olivia's pre-school class had a special Mother's Day Tea. They had prepared some special gifts for the moms including a small booklet with information about the kids written by the kids. One of the entries said, "My mom always says to me " Some of the other moms commented that their kids wrote things like, "clean up" or "pick up your room". Olivia wrote, "I love you." That was so encouraging to me. I always want that to be the main message that my kids get from me by what I do and what I say. I think that message may be getting through.
No comments:
Post a Comment